Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Sin and Annual Easter debate

Conversation this morning:

Josh: NOOOO!!! I don't want to go potty!
Rachel: Joshua, it is naughty to say no to mommy. you have to go in time out.
Sam (VERY serious): Being naughty is sin.
Rachel: Yes it is.
Sam: But mommy, Sin happens. Sin happens.

My Annual Easter Debate
Last night I shared Cadberry eggs (my favorite) with Sam and Josh and it got me thinking easter.... I am sure most of you have heard this or experience this same easter debate. Some background info: neither Kevin nor I were raised to celebrate Easter with bunnies etc. Easter is the most important Christian holiday, and yet we really don't do anything. I mean, we have the occasional family dinner- but that is all. It often just feels like a sunday dinner. So, what do we do with our kids? Every year this is how the debate in my head goes (condensed version, you get the point):

Reasons for easter party:
1. Fun- scavenger egg hunt! SO FUN! I (and my kids) love games!
2. finding big and small things to put in an easter basket- I would LOVE to do that!
3. Chocolate. Need I say more?


Reasons not to have a big bash:

1. What do bunnies and eggs have to do with Easter? It takes away the real meaning and I don't know how to explain the easter bunny to my kids. they are already confused about that santa character that some of their friends talk about!
2. My kids really don't need more STUFF. As fun as it is to get them things (yes I love buying things for my kids) they don't need it! And, I don't need them to be greedy. Christmas is hard enough dealing with the battle between giving and getting.
3. The kids (And ME!) definitely do not need more candy.

Any advice or suggestions? Play a game of hide the crosses or empty graves? Any chocolate crosses out there? Or can I just say that chocolate eggs are really chocolate rocks- you know, the moved the stone and saw the grave was empty!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've tried so hard to not introduce the Easter bunny to the kids. But each time they talk to a teacher or an aunt or anyone, they all ask "Is the Easter bunny coming soon?" ugh! I've told Brendan that there is no Easter bunny - that it's all about Jesus and explained the whole story to him over and over. But we also do an egg hunt that we plainly say that mommy and daddy do for fun. So I guess we kind of combine it....

Michele said...

Rachel - Are you familiar with "Resurrection Eggs"? They are put out by Family Life. We bought a set a few years ago at a christian bookstore. There are 12 eggs with different objects in them and corresponding scripture verses and short devotions (each egg has some symbol that illustrates different events in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus). When we've used them in the past, we keep a bowl or basket in the center of the table with all the eggs and then do one devotional per night in the nights preceding Easter. The last egg is empty to symbolize the empty tomb.

Hope you have a blessed day!

p.s. we don't do any candy but one of the grandmas gives each kid a bag full...