Monday, March 20, 2006

My thoughts on Baby showers

Okay, so recently I have been working in Josh's baby album and it has made me kind of sad. There are a few pages for "Your Baby Shower." Which got me thinking, why do we not give baby showers for second/third...children? I am not complaining that I didn't get a shower, rather, I am questioning the tradition of why we do not give the showers. So, here are my reasons why I think we should, along with reasons, I can think of, why we traditionally do NOT give them.

WHY
1. Every Baby deserves a party!
2. There are some things you need large and small. Example: unless your kids are 4 or 5 years apart you will need another car seat!
3. All my friends and family ended up getting us a gift for Josh anyways. Gifts ranged from things for me, meals, clothes, books etc. Several people even said, we didn't know what to get...Imagine if I had registered for those things we really needed?
4. Every pregnany mom deserves to be pampered! Throw her a party and have all the gifts be things for her: coupons for meals or cleaning, massage, bubble bath, getting her hair done, OR $$ for new pregnancy clothes!
5. The second child was MUCH harder than the first. You are busier and therefore need more help!
6. The showers would be so fun because you could do themes- like every picks a meal to make for them after the baby is born. Or instead of gifts everyone brings a pack of diapers!
7. The older child will see the new items and it may help understanding that a new baby is coming.

WHY NOT
1. I think traditinally we don't give showers because we assume they don't need anything- they already had a kid and all the supplies they see. (See reasons why #2)
2. At showers advice and helpful hints are often given to the mom- another thing a second time around mom wouldn't need. But she does need help- two is harder than 1!
3. As with any shower, you can often feel like you are "asking"for gifts. But, as mentioned, most people gave us gifts anyway....so why not make it easier for them letting them knowwhat you need or having a theme shower?


I am sure there are more reasons, but I can't think of any right now!!! Clearly, my point has been made. And, who knows, maybe the next friend of mine who is pregnant with her second or third I will throw them a shower and start this new great tradition! Any volunteers? Moores? :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Seconds, thirds, etc. should get showers, even if they're mini-er than the first. They should especially get another shower if they are a different gender than the first child. Not that you couldn't dress a girl in boy clothes, but it's more difficult to dress a boy in girl clothes. Or if the clothes are androgenous, I guess it doesn't matter. But still, for the sake and fun of the parents, showers are fun!

I hope that you liked that Ruthie and I got each member of your family something when Josh was born. We didn't want the other members to be forgotten!

rachelvs said...

Exactly! i am glad someone understands:) And, yes, we loved your gift and that we all got something:) It was a GREAT idea.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe that some first time mothers don't get showers! I have a couple friends that have families that are all out of town, too big, etc. and they go showerless. HOW SAD!!!!! How hard is it to have a bunch of women together, talk about babies, give advice, and eat food?

Usually after each baby is born many family and friends offer meals and drop of an outfit or a little gift. I know it helps because I can't imagine making food and buying all new clothes (especially if the babys a different gender as the first). People might not register because clothes for a baby is easy to pick out or they don't want to feel they are demanding more gifts.

Ben has always wanted to register for Christmas gifts since he tends to get random things that might not fit if its clothing. I have never heard of that but I see a need for it!!!!